- AOE III : The King's Return - Beta 1.01
- 1. How to Install the King's Return?
The mod must be installed on a fresh installed AOE 3 game (for those who have installed Beta 1.0 you must uninstall and reinstall the whole AOE III before you can install Beta 1.01).a. Requirements:
CD Version: before you install the mod you must be sure that you have both expansions installed (The Warchiefs and The Asian Dynasties) and all the whole game is game is updated to the latest official patches: Vanilla 1.14 , TWC 1.06 , TAD 1.03.
Steam Version: for steam you must have the Age of Empires III Complete Collection installed and the game is updated.
Follow the Installer steps. Make sure to choose the folder where the game is installed on your PC:
- • For CD version it is usually .../Program Files/Microsoft Games/Age of Empires III.
- • For Steam version is usually under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age Of Empires 3\bin
- 2. Important Notes
Some new units, like slaves, are using special formation tactics to turn between tied mode and hand-free mode. Make sure to turn on "Show Advanced Formation" from the Game Options/ UI Options.
- 3. Switching to Playing the Regular Game
The King's Return mod is intended to be player-friendly by playing it as standalone mod/expansion for AOE III. However, since there is a small technical problem (namely the abilities-powers and protounitcommands messing-up things) there is a small trick to be done to be able to switch back and forth between playing the King's Return Mod and the AOE III Official Game.How to do it?
Once you install the Mod it is fully playable as a standalone. To switch back to the regular game, there are 3 files that must be deleted as follows :
- 1. Go to the folder where AOE III is installed. Under this folder you will find a folder named Data.
- 2. In the Data folder you need to make a backup of protounitcommands.xml and a folder named abilities (with 2 files under it named abilities.xml and powers.xml) anywhere on your PC (Note: once you install the mod these files are already backed up for you under folder named _backupfiles in the original folder of AOE III installed game) .
- 3. After you made the backup, delete these 3 files from the game folder and you can play the Official AOE 3 as usual.
- 4. To play back the King's Return mod you must copy the files back to data folder.
I am glad to announce the release of the King's Return enhanced Beta version 1.01. It is greatly polished & enhanced. Many bugs and issues have been fixed. The King's Return now plays a standalone new expansion as you can easily switch to original game. However, since there is a small technical problem (namely the abilities-powers and protounitcommands messing-up things) there is a small trick to be done to be able to switch back and forth between playing the King's Return Mod and the AOE III Official Game (read below).